As I said, tagged by Calvin Teng.
1. At what age do you wish to marry?
23–28, if possible.
2. What will you do when you feel really emo?
Write laments on Xanga. Try to write psalm-like things. Sound like Ecclesiastes. When I’m emo, you know, and chances are moderately high that it’s Lent.
3. Who is your idol?
Jesus doesn’t count? John Chrysostom, Emperor Kangxi, William Wilberforce, people of their ilk.
4. Where is the place that you want to go most?
Where I can dwell in the house of the Lord and waste no time in becoming the person He wants me to be.
5. If you have one dream to come true, what would it be?
For me to be wise in the ways of justice, that I may know with clarity what to do now and what to do next.
6. What is the purpose of your life?
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (Eph. 2.10). No other purpose is anything but a wraith.
7. What are you afraid to lose the most right now?
The Power behind my purpose. That is, God. If I don’t have Him, I must die, in my spirit if not in my flesh. If there is anything in my life that doesn’t reflect the glory of God and ultimately make me a better person in Him, may it be cut off forever as a waste of the time I am given to do what lasts, to do more than living a carpe diem life of tragedy. More on that in a future post, I think.
8. What cheers you up for the rest of the day?
Salvation of people I know and love. Seeing some people. Hearing some people. Having real conversations with people. Fresh mangosteens if I see them again. Sam being in Berkeley. Listening to Jed say something eminently true. Hearing Jasmin laugh.
9. If you met someone you loved, would you confess to him/her?
Yes, if marriage was not out of the question given the circumstances of the time, e.g. her being taken, me dying, &c.
10. List out three good things of the person who tagged you.
Will tell you when he doesn’t think like you. Has power in his singing voice. Doesn’t act as if all is well in the world.
11. What type of person do you hate the most?
I like Calvin’s answer: “The apathetic. I lay the blood of the dying upon your hands.” Fundamentally, yes, the kind that cares not what is right when it isn’t “practical” or “profitable”. Being unprincipled or lazy in such a way is anathema to me.
12. What would you do if you won a million dollars?
Invest it in the Lord’s work and in reliable securities in entities that do something good. So missionaries, some friends, World Relief, World Vision, To an Unknown God (magazine), stocks, bonds and mutual funds. Something like that. Also acquire books that deepen my view of God’s pleasure.
13. What is your ambition?
See Job 29.
14. What will you do if you get rejected by someone you like?
Be sad and hope she gets with someone else, so that I need not hold my breath in suspense for too long.
15. If you have a chance, which part of your character would you like to change?
Like Calvin, my misanthropy, but maybe also my more hidden fear of man.
16. What is your favourite colour?
No colour means anything apart from other colours. How am I to decide? If I must, 青 (I shall translate it as “blue”) to signify the vast expanse of the heavens and the depth of the waters, for God’s height above us is more than the Peng bird to the quail.
17. What do you think is the most important thing in your life?
God. Hmm, not a thing, is He? My mind, then. My mind for service to the glory of the only one who is worthy of all praise.
18. If there’s one thing in your life you want to do but yet unable to, what would it be?
Learn to speak the unmitigated truth with tact after penetrating the truth and making a correct judgement.
19. What would you do if tomorrow was the last day of the world?
Spend it with brethren in praise of God and proclamation of His name for the Holy Spirit, not us, to convict them of the truth, that they might come to eternal life and enjoy the goodness of the same God I know. Actually, is this question assuming I knew it was the end of the world?
20. What are the requirements that you wish from your other half?
A heart that worships God in truth and seeks to know Him. Profound dissatisfaction with the marred world and its injustice. Mental diligence and intelligence at least commensurate with my own. Will to think about all things in relation to timeless truth. Compassion and ability to stir it in me to temper my misanthropy. Appreciation of beauty and good taste. Not singing off-key, maybe.