One of the best scenes in Cantonese opera, from the 1959 film 《帝女花》 (The Flower Princess). The male protagonist, betrothed to the Ming dynasty princess shortly before the emperor’s suicide before rebel forces, now in the new Qing dynasty recognizes a Daoist nun as his once intended, tries to persuade her to acknowledge their relationship.
A D.C. editor writes about piety and society, with one eye on the past and the other on the future, and both eyes on the sovereign purposes of God.
- This Week In Reaction (2017/05/28) - Social Matter on Sima Qian’s Records of the Grand Historian 史記 in the Mandarin Vernacular
- Lue-Yee Tsang on La Ilaha Illallah
- Fatih Sultan Mehmet on La Ilaha Illallah
- Why the red revolution or great reform will never come – Codex of Kraine on Lenin Against Free Love as ‘Bourgeois’
- Lue-Yee Tsang on Appropriating Geʼez Music as Chinese?